Monday, July 19, 2010

Pleasantly Surprised



This past weekend we took a trip that I’d been dreading. It wasn’t the trip so much, but the things we had planned to do. I know it sounds crazy. Why would I PLAN a trip that I was dreading? Well, my mother-in-law and father-in-law live in our old college town and very near a water park. They really wanted us to bring the kids down to play at the water park. I really didn’t think the water park would go well. I thought the kids were not great ages to go and really enjoy it. I was WRONG. Okay, I said it….doesn’t happen often, so pay attention. We got up early Friday morning and made the 3 hour drive. We dropped my husband off at his parents’ house to work (he telecommutes some days) while I took the kids to the water park. It was a great day and we probably would have stayed longer had we not been completely exhausted.

I knew the kids would love the beach (our day trip for the following day). Even so, I underestimated how much they would enjoy it. We looked for sharks’ teeth and walked along the beach. After a short walk and finding a shark’s tooth, we were ready to play in the surf. My son (nearly 5) had the best time. He’d been to the beach at Dewee’s Island when he was about 17 months old, but he doesn’t remember. Since then, we’ve taken trips, but none to the beach. My daughter (8) LOVES the beach and would go there all.the.time if we lived close enough. We introduced the kids to one of our favorite restaurants and they had fun there, too.

Lesson learned. Think positively. Your children may really surprise you with their love of new places.

No comments:

Post a Comment